Monday, March 26, 2012

Day 29

The Plumb Line - 2

Phil 2:3-4

Selfish ambition

Doing things that promote self interest, self glory.*Doing things that get me recognition, for my glory, promotion and elevation in the eyes of men. Often this would involved putting others down, even subtly, ignoring others peoples gifts and talents so that only “I” get noticed. The object with which I conduct myself is that “I” increase and. that “I” get glory. This is nothing but “I-dolatry”.

Vain conceit

The dictionary tells me the synonyms of conceit* are egoism, egotism, narcissism, vanity. The dictionary tells me vanity is being inordinately proud of one's appearance, possessions, or
achievements, given to ostentatious display, especially of one's beauty, worthless, senseless or futile. It is the very opposite of humility. It’s thinking that only I can do the job well. What is the fall out of this? We don’t train others to do our job. We think we are indispensible. We get very critical and condemning of other peoples efforts. We don’t delegate. We are unable to encourage and appreciate the baby steps others take to grow their gifts. It also shows a lack of humility to realize that all our gifts and talents are “Grace Gifts” that we don’t deserve in the first place. We owe it all to God and need to hold these things lightly.

Navaz D'cruz

No comments:

Post a Comment